Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Could you get along without one?

From this Side of the Pond

1. What title would you give this current chapter of your life?


Midlife Reboot.

2. December 6 is National Microwave Oven Day. Who knew? Besides popcorn and coffee reheats, what's the most common thing you microwave? Could you get along without a microwave?


We got along till about ten years ago without a microwave; then we were given one and found it handy for a few things. When we moved this year, we intended to lose both the toaster oven and the microwave (and it conveniently stopped working just before the moving date).When we moved in, we did a lot of stovetop and oven reheating, and it was a bit inconvenient for our small-family small amounts. One day Mr. Fixit noticed that the discount store next door had small microwaves on sale, so we went over and got one.


I don't microwave popcorn or reheat coffee, but I do reheat leftovers and melt chocolate and cheese. Sometimes I make cake or apricot treats or hot fudge sauce in it.


3. If you could insert yourself into any Christmas carol and experience the lyrics in real life, which Christmas carol lyric would you choose and why?


I've always thought it would be nice to be one of those looking for "a stable room lit by a star" in "How Far Is't to Bethlehem?" 


And when I was searching for a link to that, I realized that I answered the same question last year in exactly the same way. Nice to know I'm consistent.

4. Describe the most beautiful drive you've ever taken.


Not sure...you mean scenery-wise, or because it was a happy event? 


Some Christmas-week mornings have been a bit of both, say when we were on our way to visit family, and the weather was clear, maybe some snow, and the way there included quiet back roads.

5. What's something on your Christmas list this year? (an actual list or figuratively speaking, either one)


I asked Mr. Fixit for a wristwatch, because the one I have is quite old and the leather band has been replaced several times. Recently we were looking at some family photos, and one of the Squirrelings commented, "oh look, you were wearing that same watch." Yeah. It's time. 


Also a mirror for the bare spot over the cupboard that used to be in the front hall. It could use something, but we have enough pictures already.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Yesterday I was working at the thrift store, and I overheard someone saying, "People say they go to the thrift store to find something. I don't think it works like that. I think things find you."

Well, they might have a point!


This hat "found me" before I left.the store. It had a couple of decrepit-looking feathers stuck in the band, which I discarded. Otherwise, I like it very much.

In fact, I liked it so much that I pulled off the price tag and wore it home, and then wore it to the pharmacy in the afternoon (on a very windy day, I had to hold onto it) to get a flu shot. A woman stopped me in the parking lot to say "nice hat." Which made me feel better about getting my arm stuck.

Is that random enough for you?

1 comment:

PJ said...

I love the comment about things finding us and I think it's true. Also love your new hat. Great answers.