Monday, January 30, 2012

From the archives: a winter day six years ago

Originally posted January 25, 2006.  Updates added January 30, 2012.

Time: 3 p.m.

View from the window:

Snow.  (Like this.)

Snow on the swingset, on the fences, all over the back yard.

2012: Yes, it's the same today!

Listen In

CBC radio playing in the kitchen  2012:  Crayons and I are listening to "The Underground Railroad" from Adventures in Odyssey, while she chooses an "artifact" to draw.

It's too quiet upstairs. I'd better make sure nobody's cutting their hair off. [Postscript: I found The Apprentice reading The Bells on Finland Street to Ponytails. Crayons was also not doing anything particularly scary.]

2012:  also listening for the doorbell, since Ponytails should be back soon from writing a first-semester geography exam.  The Apprentice has an extra-busy day at the university today.

Supper Plans

Spaghetti and meat sauce; reheated garlic breadsticks (from the Hillbilly Housewife site--those have become a favourite around here); lettuce and mushroom salad; brownies. [Postscript after dinner: Oops, forgot about the breadsticks. I knew there was something else I was going to do.]

2012:  Spaghetti pie, and maybe I'll make breadsticks too.

Other sounds

The ding of the garlic-shaped timer to say that the brownies are supposed to be done. But they're not. (I love my timer. I found it at a yard sale after the buzzer on our stove quit working, and it still makes me smile.)

2012:  Don't have that timer any more--it broke, and I miss it.

In the Living Room

Agh! It's tidy!

(Some CM mammas are coming over tonight to talk shop.)

Beauty in the Common Things

DHM's recipe for crockpot cereal (we used shortgrain brown rice and pearl barley).

Bach on the CBC.

A set of magnetic words (Magnetic Poetry), that we bought so long ago that the only extra word we added was The Apprentice's name. (I guess we should add a couple more now.)

Crayons asking for more Little Tim books, please.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails