Friday, September 23, 2011

Frugal Food Fix: Half-baked Granola

As we have mentioned before, electricity prices in this part of Ontario are higher than they used to be.  I used the regular oven as infrequently as I could manage this summer.  Even in fall, I try to load it up when I do use it.  And I experiment with alternatives when I can--no-bake cookies and so on.

Yesterday I made a batch of overnight granola--just made it during the day instead of overnight.  You've probably seen the recipe:  mix the ingredients, bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes, then turn the oven off and leave it for several hours.

I have tried this recipe before, without great success, but I decided to give it one more go.  At bedtime last night, it should have been done. But this batch, like the others, came out stuck to the pan, full of large dampish lumps in some places, and almost raw in others.  I very much prefer our usual method, toasting it gradually at a lower heat.  But what to do with this batch?

This is what I did with it (after prying it out of the pan and storing it overnight): 

1.  Warmed some oil and  homemade pancake syrup together in the microwave. 

2.  Returned the granola to the large glass pan I baked it in, and drizzled the syrup-oil mixture over top.

3.  Baked it for awhile longer at 250 degrees, stirring a couple of times.  This not only toasted the undercooked bits, but the reheating also softened the large lumps enough that they could be broken up.

Success!

No comments: