Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What I'm reading

The Skystone, by Jack Whyte. I'm trying to finish it because it was on my list of books for this year, and because I started it, and because I'm kind of curious to see how the ending turns out, and because I'm enjoying the late-Roman-empire setting, but honestly I can't recommend it--there are some very, very graphic adult-content scenes. Which is too bad, because, written slightly differently and without All That Stuff, it would have made a pretty good young-adult historical novel, if that makes any sense. Lots of soldiers and adventures and a hunt for the mysterious "skystones" that once fell from the sky and seem to contain some kind of almost magical metal. But there's just too much other stuff in it that I don't like.

Homeschooling the Middle Years. From the library.

Towards a Philosophy of Education, by Charlotte Mason. Re-reading.

2 comments:

Merit Kirkpatrick said...

Thanks for the review - it is hard to find quality literature sometimes when you have a voracious reader and I am glad to know what to avoid from someone who's opinion I trust!

Mama Squirrel said...

Hi Merit--nice to hear from you! I did finish the book but decided it wasn't exactly my cuppa.