Monday, July 16, 2007

Betty Crocker got it right (The Brownie Recipe)

We have tried brownie recipes that require melting chocolate squares (they turned out dry). We have tried cookie brownies and no-bake brownies (both of which are good in their own ways). But we always come back to the Cocoa Brownies recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (red paperback edition from the '80's). The Squirrelings like them. My brother-in-law likes them. Mr. Fixit, who does not like sweets much, has been known to enlarge his "little sliver" into a decent-size piece. He even got creative on the weekend and made "Googly Men" (otherwise known as happy faces in a bowl) with two squares of brownie for eyes, a scoop of ice cream for a nose, and a piece of banana for a mouth.

So this is the recipe, for no reason in particular except that my mamma taught me that sharing's nice.

Cocoa Brownies

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter (softened if necessary. I just use the tub kind)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (or just 1 if you want them fudgier or are short on eggs)
2/3 cup all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, we leave them out)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Chocolate chips for topping (optional--our addition)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix sugar, margarine, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in greased 8-inch square pan. Top with a handful of chocolate chips if you want. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (don't overbake), 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and cut in squares.

13 comments:

coffeemamma said...

We use the same recipe, but substitute raw sugar and whole wheat flour- and they're just as yummy! (maybe even yummier??)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having this online.. I lost my Betty cookbook ages ago and this was always a wonderful, in a pinch, simple brownie recipe! And I needed it today!

Sybaelle said...

Thanks so much for this! I have always thought this was the best brownie recipe ever. I seem to have lost my BC cookbook and am happy I could find this here. Now I have to go about replacing that cookbook. ;)

Suzy said...

Thank you sooooo much! I have just been trying to find this very recipe online and have spent a couple hours doing it. It is the one I always go back to since I made my first batch when I was in third grade, my red Betty Crocker hardcover cookbook fell apart after 20 years of hard use:)and I never bought a new one.

lisalurens said...

I Have the red paperback Betty Crocker Cookbook. It's NOT in there! I found this recipe in Betty Crocker's Ultimate Cookie Book, which is still packed away after we movedI had a hard time finding this, I'm just glad I did! I don't like recipes calling for melting unsweetened Chocolate (inconvenient), or packets of liquid chocolate (messy). I like recipes that use Cocoa. It's quick, inexpensive and lasts for years in the cupboard!

Mama Squirrel said...

Lisa, in our edition it's Cocoa Brownies on page 175. The book practically falls open there.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! These are the brownies my mom always made. I was just starting to make them this evening when I realized I didn't have the full recipe. It was almost a disaster when I couldn't find this recipe on the betty crocker website. You saved my brownies. Just like mom made. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much.. i love these.. no recipe compares.. i moved to fl and my red cookbook that i have is still in pa.. ugh. now i can make brownies.. thank you...@!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very very much. I was told that Betty Crocker brownie recipes are the best and I was finding it hard to find a classic brownie recipe that didn't involve using a mix.
God Bless you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

thanks to you from another - the brownie page of my 80s era cookbook (which has been loose for a decade) finally went missing... I agree completely - best brownies...

Anonymous said...

Hi ! Thankyou for posting this recipe . I used to have a Betty Crocker recipe card box that I bought little by little in the mail .It ended up costing me a small fortune ! It had great recipes in it and after some 30 years or so I gave it to Value Village while cleaning out my cupboards . Boy am I ever sorry! I have never found as good a recipe for brownies as this one !I missed it . Thanks !!!

The Apprentice said...

I just made these with the walnuts and they were a fantastic ending to my meal. :)

Mama Squirrel said...

Apprentice: Taste of home, hm?

Miss you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails