Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sallie's Homemaking Meme

Thanks to the DHM for pointing this out--I haven't been able to access Sallie's Gracious Home blog for a couple of days myself. I already know that I'm in trouble with this one, though, starting with the A's. I'm happy when the Treehouse is clean and more-or-less tidy, but you may as well know that I serve margarine straight from the plastic tub, and our idea of fancying up the napkins is to get coloured paper ones instead of plain white.

Aprons – Y/N? Nope.

Baking – Favorite thing to bake --Anything that doesn't need kneading. Anything with cinnamon in it. Muffins, cookies, pie. "I love to cook, I love to bake, I think I'll make an acorn cake."

Clothesline – Y/N? Used to have one outside, but it was getting pretty old so we took it down. We have clotheslines strung across the furnace room, though.

Donuts – Have you ever made them? Not the deep-fried ones, just the Muffin Doughnuts you roll in cinnamon sugar.

Every day – One homemaking thing you do every day: Usually do some laundry. Fold the laundry. Clean up the living room. Take out the garbage. Sweep the kitchen. Make most of the meals.

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze?
Yes, we bought one a year ago and I'm very happy to have it. No more cramming things in!

Garbage Disposal – Y/N? No, and we don't have a dishwasher either.

Handbook – What is your favorite homemaking resource? Probably the Internet and everybody's blogs. Maybe Don Aslett's books. Oh, and the Tightwad Gazette books.

Ironing – Love it or hate it? Or hate it but love the results? --I only iron when I'm sewing or when something's unwearable. (Mr. Fixit wears jeans to work.)

Junk drawer – Y/N? Where is it? No, not really--we have a drawer for scissors and pens, but it's not too junky. I watched a Slob Sisters video about that years ago and I guess it's stuck.

Kitchen – Color and decorating scheme-- Fifties modern. Here's a photo of the wallpaper and my favourite teapot. And there are some photos in last year's post from the DHM's kitchen meme.

Love – What is your favorite part of homemaking? Making a home. And cleaning things out--I like organizing closets and shelves, even though they don't always stay that way.

Mop – Y/N? Only when we need to, and then it's usually Mr. Fixit that mops. (No, he doesn't use his tail.) But I sweep up every night.

Nylons – Wash by hand or in the washing machine? Washing machine.

Oven – Do you use the window or open the oven to check? Window.

Pizza – What do you put on yours? Pepperoni and mushrooms. If I had one all to myself, I'd put olives on it.

Quiet – What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? Go out to check the mail. Sit down. Or go find out why things are so quiet (always suspicious).

Recipe card box – Y/N? What does it look like? A big blue binder with the cover starting to come apart. I like printouts better than copying things onto little cards.

Style of house – What style is your house? 1959 raised bungalow.

Tablecloths and napkins – Y/N? Yikes, I knew I was going to be in trouble after that apron question. Plastic placemats with pictures of Banff, and Price Chopper paper napkins. I do have some cloth napkins and placemats, but we don't use them every day. If we eat in the dining room, we use a tablecloth.)

Under the kitchen sink – Organized or toxic wasteland? Pretty organized. We have a bagful of plastic grocery bags, a roll of paper towels, some sponges, and a small shelf of plastic wrap and waxed paper. The strangest thing about the under-sink cupboard is that it still has a baby latch on it, even though the baby is now five.

Vacuum – How many times per week? About once, depends on the need. Mr. Fixit usually vacuums but Ponytails likes vacuuming too.

Wash – How many loads of laundry do you do per week? Lots.

X’s – Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off? Sometimes.

Yard – Y/N? Who does what? Mr. Fixit and the Apprentice handle the power equipment (lawn mower and snow blower). Ponytails and I shovel snow. Everybody rakes leaves. Mr. Fixit and the girls usually put in the seeds and I weed them and pick the vegetables.

Zzz’s – What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed? Making bedtime tea for Mama Squirrel and Mr. Fixit.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails